No announcement yet.

Your Ideal Who Breakfast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=hundredfaces;n163909]Another good way for beans Rie is to add a teaspoon sized amount per half can of Heinz ketchup or similar .

Cook on a high heat stirring until the beans start to split , highly recommended! [/QUOTE]

That sounds yummy, thanks! I love arranging recipes, I will have to try!

https://twitter.com/kallanwho

Comment

[QUOTE=suzanity;n163910]Thanks, yall! If he were still around, I'd say something--I think he probably used way too much vinegar, but he'd be glad to know he was right. :)

As is, I don't especially like poached, fried, or soft-boiled eggs, and absolutely cannot stand hard-boiled ones, even deviled. Very bad, very gross experience later in childhood, which I won't go into. Used to not even be able to be in the same room with hard-boiled eggs--the smell...Better now, I can tolerate the smell, and have even eaten some very small pieces mixed up in a salad, though it took conscious effort. I love scrambled eggs, though, and have recently discovered the yumminess of shakshuka.[/QUOTE]

I can imagine, suzanity, about how you felt the smell of the hard-boiled eggs.
      I also had a bad experience of eating one while my father driving an unpaved road when I was a child (you can imagine the result on the seat!), and I suffered lasting trauma until I married and had to make them for my family.
      You had me search Shakshuka!

Comment

[QUOTE=kallan;n163924]

I can imagine, suzanity, about how you felt the smell of the hard-boiled eggs.
        I also had a bad experience of eating one while my father driving an unpaved road when I was a child (you can imagine the result on the seat!), and I suffered lasting trauma until I married and had to make them for my family.
        You had me search Shakshuka!

[/QUOTE]

Okay, I'll go into it. My experience involved one that had actually gone bad, and I didn't realize until it was already down--it was sliced up in some soup that masked the offness. Unfortunately it stayed down for a while before the badness really kicked in. Sick for a couple of days, smelling it rising up inside the whole time, finally having to run down the hallway at school and sort of...erupt in the bathroom. At least I made it there--even reached the toilet! Still, really unpleasant.

I already had some trouble with cooked egg whites, even before that. So now my entire body sort of says: Never again. No thanks.

I've made shaksuka, or something sort of like it, a couple times now, still refining it--I just top it with scrambled eggs after baking, or sometimes skip the baking and serve it over torn-up, slightly stale, hard-crust bread, like a baguette or hard roll. That way the bread thickens the sauce, without having to bake. I think in the classic version the eggs sort of poach in the sauce and bake at the same time, and of course you'd have pita bread on the side. Very yum.
        "Maybe there is no sublime; only the shining of the amnion's tatters." --Galway Kinnell

Comment

Reaching the toilet before the eruption would be a great triumph when you are young! No one sees your awkward situation. I had to get used to throwing up in public when I was seriously ill and needed Chemotherapy. In the most worse period, I couldn't vomit even if I want to do so.

I think I might have been allergic to eggs, but now I can eat an egg in a day. Still, I don't like egg whites.
          I will try to cook Shakshuka without eggs. (wonder if I can still call it Shakshuka?:rolleyes:)

Comment

In a recent interview, Roger said that he brings three ingredients on his road. Cyder vinegar, Colman's mustard, and Clipper Teas. I found those are available in my country and purchased some of them. But I rarely use mustard in cooking and have no idea of how to use it other than sandwiches and roasted meats. Does anyone have traditional English meal ideas? On Colman's website, they recommend it for Japanese rice bowl instead of Wasabi!
            [video=youtube;aZ8-NP_wDLQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ8-NP_wDLQ[/video]
            Last edited by kallan; 08-02-2021, 10:09 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=kallan;n163932]Reaching the toilet before the eruption would be a great triumph when you are young! No one sees your awkward situation. I had to get used to throwing up in public when I was seriously ill and needed Chemotherapy. In the most worse period, I couldn't vomit even if I want to do so.

I think I might have been allergic to eggs, but now I can eat an egg in a day. Still, I don't like egg whites.
              I will try to cook Shakshuka without eggs. (wonder if I can still call it Shakshuka?:rolleyes:)[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear you needed chemo--hope all that's cleared up now, without too many lasting scars.

With me it was never about being seen throwing up, it was just about not throwing up at all. Still an issue--I have to be mighty damn sick before I'll puke, even when it would be better to do so.

Gary, you really opened a can of something when you quoted that lyric. Didn't realize how far a discussion of breakfast could take the conversation about being sick. :)

Unfortunately, I don't think it's really shakshuka without eggs, though I could be wrong--the name could just mean a tomato sauce with red peppers. But I think it means that, plus eggs, and baked. I get around that by scrambling the eggs and putting them on top! :D

And, I'm entirely the wrong person to talk about traditional English meals. Not just the whole Americana thing--traditional for me means New Orleans style, which is a fusion of a lot of things, but not very much English. :D :D And I don't even really stick to that. :D

PS--technical note--this is really weird. When I edit, all those :D and :) turn into emojis :cool: whether or not I've clicked on them or typed the actual characters. But in posted text, they revert to either characters or :rolleyes: Characters if that's what I typed, :description: if I clicked. Very odd.

And of course, the more I "can't" use them, the more I do! :D :D :D
              Last edited by suzanity; 08-02-2021, 01:21 PM.
              "Maybe there is no sublime; only the shining of the amnion's tatters." --Galway Kinnell

Comment

[QUOTE=suzanity;n163939]

Sorry to hear you needed chemo--hope all that's cleared up now, without too many lasting scars.

With me it was never about being seen throwing up, it was just about not throwing up at all. Still an issue--I have to be mighty damn sick before I'll puke, even when it would be better to do so.

Gary, you really opened a can of something when you quoted that lyric. Didn't realize how far a discussion of breakfast could take the conversation about being sick. :)

Unfortunately, I don't think it's really shakshuka without eggs, though I could be wrong--the name could just mean a tomato sauce with red peppers. But I think it means that, plus eggs, and baked. I get around that by scrambling the eggs and putting them on top! :D

And, I'm entirely the wrong person to talk about traditional English meals. Not just the whole Americana thing--traditional for me means New Orleans style, which is a fusion of a lot of things, but not very much English. :D :D And I don't even really stick to that. :D

PS--technical note--this is really weird. When I edit, all those :D and :) turn into emojis :cool: whether or not I've clicked on them or typed the actual characters. But in posted text, they revert to either characters or :rolleyes: Characters if that's what I typed, :description: if I clicked. Very odd.

And of course, the more I "can't" use them, the more I do! :D :D :D[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your kind words. Over a decade ago, I was told by my doctor that my five-year survival rate was 25%, but I'm still alive! I've been so lucky and I believe it's Roger who helped me to be positive and strong.

Food Fusion would be a nice subject to discuss, as this is an international forum.
                Shakshuka without eggs would seem to be a Korean food in my country since most of the hot foods are derived from Korea.

Yes, apparently this thread has been having problems with coding. I should have deleted it when I noticed the video embbing problem. I see it's fine when I click the Preview button of this post...we will see...

Comment

[QUOTE=suzanity;n163939]

[/QUOTE]

Haha, sorry. Danny's comment made me remember the story - I guess it's yet another case of Pete's lyrics holding up a mirror to the audience!

So glad to hear you're beating the odds, Rie - we need you around for many, many more years. :)

Comment

I had a friend that made toast with bacon fat spread over it topped with sliced onions and ground black pepper. : /
                    One Note

Comment

[QUOTE=a11who;n163945]
                      So glad to hear you're beating the odds, Rie - we need you around for many, many more years. :)
                      [/QUOTE]

Hope I won’t die before I get too old!

Comment

[QUOTE=windupman;n163947]I had a friend that made toast with bacon fat spread over it topped with sliced onions and ground black pepper. : /[/QUOTE]

Fried bacon?

Comment

[QUOTE=kallan;n163951]

Hope I won’t die before I get too old!
                          [/QUOTE]

Long Live Rie! :)

Comment

[QUOTE=kallan;n163952]

Fried bacon?[/QUOTE]

No bacon, just the rendered fat. Cooled fat, looked like butter. :/
                            One Note

Comment

Always have a full English breakfast on every Who birthday, and before I get ready to go to a show.
                              “The desire for more positive experience is itself a negative experience. And, paradoxically, the acceptance of one’s negative experience is itself a positive experience.”
                              ― Mark Manson

Comment

[QUOTE=kallan;n163942]

Thanks for your kind words. Over a decade ago, I was told by my doctor that my five-year survival rate was 25%, but I'm still alive! I've been so lucky and I believe it's Roger who helped me to be positive and strong.

Food Fusion would be a nice subject to discuss, as this is an international forum.
                                Shakshuka without eggs would seem to be a Korean food in my country since most of the hot foods are derived from Korea.

Yes, apparently this thread has been having problems with coding. I should have deleted it when I noticed the video embbing problem. I see it's fine when I click the Preview button of this post...we will see...

[/QUOTE]

That's taking "be lucky" to a whole new level--glad to hear it, and so glad you're still here.

Fusion cuisines are wonderful. Here's a quick overview on the New Orleans version: [url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuisine_of_New_Orleans[/url]
                                Just Wikipedia, but it all sounds about right. My mom considered herself Creole, though how you'd prove it I don't know. Used to really look forward to the times she made jambalaya.

[QUOTE=windupman;n163947]I had a friend that made toast with bacon fat spread over it topped with sliced onions and ground black pepper. : /[/QUOTE]

Were the onions cooked?

And while I love me some bacon grease, don't know if I'd take it that far. I usually use it to season things, like Brunswick Stew, in cornbread batter, and to fry green tomatoes. Frying other things I mostly use olive oil, or melted Crisco if I need a whole lot, but somehow green tomatoes just need that smoky richness. I've actually been known to buy bacon just to get the grease out of it, then have to ask myself, hmmmm, now how to I use this bacon? :D

Comment

Working...
                                X